Human Impact on the Environment
By G Davidson
1. Food production is increased by farming.
2. If fertiliser leaches from fields and enters an aquatic system, an algal results.
3. Which of the following pesticides would be used to kill weeds?
4. What word is used to describe the build up of a substance, such as DDT, along a food chain?
5. Lichens are very good species because their presence or absence gives us a clue about pollution levels.
6. What do we call the addition of a substance to the environment which might be harmful to organisms?
7. Which of the following chemicals would you not expect to find in fertilisers?
8. Which of the following would indicate unpolluted water?
rat tailed maggot
caddis fly larvae
9. We call the introduction of a predator species into an environment, control.
10. Crusty lichens indicate a low level of sulphur dioxide in the air.